- 1 What were four other forms of entertainment that the theatrical arts had to compete with during Shakespeare’s time?
- 2 What were other common forms of entertainment during Shakespeare’s time?
- 3 What other forms of entertainment existed in Elizabethan times?
- 4 What were the forms of popular entertainment during this era?
- 5 How did people dress during Shakespearean times?
- 6 What did Elizabethan audiences do if they didn’t like a play?
- 7 What was popular during Shakespeare’s time?
- 8 What are some examples of Elizabethan superstition?
- 9 What is modern day entertainment?
- 10 What did Elizabethan people do in their spare time?
- 11 What caused all the theaters to close in the early 1600’s?
- 12 What was life like for rich Elizabethans?
- 13 What are three forms of entertainment enjoyed in the early 1930s?
- 14 What was the most popular form of entertainment in the 1930’s?
- 15 What became a popular form of entertainment at the turn of the 20th century?
What were four other forms of entertainment that the theatrical arts had to compete with during Shakespeare’s time?
In Shakespeare’s time there were all sorts of different types of entertainments such as plays, dancing, singing, bear-baiting, cockfighting, and various games and sports.
What were other common forms of entertainment during Shakespeare’s time?
Entertainment at court in Elizabethan times included jousting, dancing, poetry-reading, dramatic performances, hunting, riding, banqueting and concerts. Many of Queen Elizabeth I’s most entertaining court appearances took place in Greenwich itself, at Greenwich Palace.
What other forms of entertainment existed in Elizabethan times?
But the poor people enjoyed entertainment from acting troupes, tournaments, dancing, trained animals, mummers (dancers), mystery plays, jugglers and strolling players. Tournaments, Games, Sports, Gaming and Gambling also played an important part in Elizabethan entertainment.
What were the forms of popular entertainment during this era?
Other forms of entertainment like the circus, symphonies (for the rich), vaudeville shows, silent movies, and ragtime also became popular and shaped American culture. 2. Describe the immigrant culture that emerged during this period of time and how Nativists reacted to immigrants in general.
How did people dress during Shakespearean times?
Heavy brocade, stockings, tight-fitting doublets, long billowing dresses embellished with pearls and jewels, knee-length trousers, stiff linen collars or ruffs, and feathered hats were all staple elements of the wardrobes of the well off.
What did Elizabethan audiences do if they didn’t like a play?
They could also buy snacks, like meat pies, and drinks, like ale, from sellers in the theatre – a tradition which still goes on with interval ice-creams. The audience might buy apples to eat. If they didn’t like the play, the audience threw them at the actors!
What was popular during Shakespeare’s time?
Dances were popular, whether you lived in London or in a small town, and so was getting together at the local pub for sing-alongs. Games like chess, checkers, and tennis were extremely popular; Miranda plays chess in The Tempest and Queen Elizabeth herself was known to love the game.
What are some examples of Elizabethan superstition?
There are still Elizabethan superstitions that we follow today:
- don’t walk under a ladder – they are bad luck because they are linked to gallows ( the wooden frame for hanging people)
- say ‘Bless you’ when someone sneezes – this is to stop the Devil entering your body through your mouth.
What is modern day entertainment?
Modern Day Entertainment is an independent record label and management company founded by Jaycee Edwards, Nic GidleyKing and Julian Palei. We are a full service agency specializing in talent management, digital marketing, label services, brand development, bookings and design.
What did Elizabethan people do in their spare time?
In the Elizabethan era (1558–1603), there was a wide range of leisure activities entertaining both the nobility and the common classes. Among these leisure activities were animal fighting, team sports, individual sports, games, dramatics, music and the arts.
What caused all the theaters to close in the early 1600’s?
In the early 1600s, more bubonic plague outbreaks struck and shuttered the doors of London’s Globe Theatre.
What was life like for rich Elizabethans?
Rich Elizabethans would buy expensive clothes made from luxurious materials. Fashion was very important at the Royal Court and courtiers would often spend vast amounts on their clothes. For the middle classes, fashion was measured more in the quality of the cloth, rather than in the cut or the colour.
What are three forms of entertainment enjoyed in the early 1930s?
The American people in the 1930s and 1940s were no exception. They enjoyed many forms of entertainment, particularly if they could do so inexpensively. With the addition of sound, movies became increasingly popular. Comedies, gangster movies, and musicals helped people forget their troubles.
What was the most popular form of entertainment in the 1930’s?
Cinema. The cinema was probably the most popular form of entertainment in the 1930s. Silent films had been shown since the beginning of the century, but from the end of the 1920s people were attracted to the new talkies.
What became a popular form of entertainment at the turn of the 20th century?
Vaudeville, dance halls, and motion pictures became popular, while new modes of travel allowed Americans to escape to mountain and seaside resorts. In this lesson, students will learn how Americans spent their leisure time and explore new forms of entertainment that appeared at the turn of the century.