- 1 What influenced musical Theatre?
- 2 How has musical Theatre developed over time?
- 3 What are the 3 main components of a musical?
- 4 What is Broadway style?
- 5 What is the longest running Broadway musical?
- 6 What are the 4 elements of musical Theatre?
- 7 What are the most famous musicals?
- 8 What is the number one screen to stage?
- 9 What are the five longest running shows on Broadway?
- 10 What are 4 different types of musicals?
- 11 Which is the best example of musical theater?
- 12 What is the musical elements of rhythm?
- 13 Which Broadway show is the most profiting of all time?
- 14 What made Broadway musical so popular?
- 15 Why is musical Theatre so popular?
What influenced musical Theatre?
The ancient Greeks had plays with songs, and Roman comedies included song and dance routines. But the music of these eras disappeared long ago, so they had no real influence on the development of modern musical theatre and film.
How has musical Theatre developed over time?
Although music has been a part of dramatic presentations since ancient times, modern Western musical theatre developed from several lines of antecedents that evolved over several centuries through the 18th century when the Ballad Opera and pantomime emerged in England and its colonies as the most popular forms of
What are the 3 main components of a musical?
The three main components of a book musical are its music, lyrics and book.
What is Broadway style?
Broadway theatre, also simply known as Broadway, refers to the theatrical performances which are presented in the 41 professional theatres, each with 500 or more seats, located in the Theater District and the Lincoln Center along Broadway, in Midtown Manhattan, New York City.
What is the longest running Broadway musical?
The Phantom of the Opera The longest – running show in Broadway history officially opened on January 26, 1988 and is still playing at the Majestic The Andrew Lloyd Webber musical won 7 1988 Tony Awards® including Best Musical.
What are the 4 elements of musical Theatre?
Musical theatre is a form of theatrical performance that combines songs, spoken dialogue, acting and dance. The story and emotional content of a musical – humor, pathos, love, anger – are communicated through words, music, movement and technical aspects of the entertainment as an integrated whole.
What are the most famous musicals?
The 15 Most Popular Broadway Musicals of All Time
- The Lion King. The Lion King | Andrew Burton/Getty Images.
- Wicked. Wicked | Sergio Dionisio/Getty Images.
- The Phantom of the Opera. The Phantom of the Opera | Andrew H.
- Mamma Mia! Mamma Mia!
- The 1996 revival of Chicago.
- Jersey Boys.
- The Book of Mormon.
- Beauty and the Beast.
What is the number one screen to stage?
1. West Side Story (1961) It isn’t just one of the best movie musicals of all time – it’s one of the best movies of all time.
What are the five longest running shows on Broadway?
The Top 20 Longest – Running Broadway Shows
- 1. “ The Phantom of the Opera” 13,370 performances and counting (Jan.
- 2. “ Chicago” 9,692 performances and counting (Nov.
- 3. “ The Lion King” 9,302 performances and counting (Nov.
- 4. “ Cats”
- 5. “ Wicked”
- 6. “ Les Misérables”
- 7. “ A Chorus Line”
- “Oh! Calcutta!”
What are 4 different types of musicals?
Musicals Come in All Different Types
- Book Musicals.
- Revue Musicals.
- Jukebox Musicals.
- Film Musicals.
- Concept Musicals.
- Pop/Rock Musicals.
Which is the best example of musical theater?
WOS100: The top 100 Musicals of all time!
- Les Misérables. The 2014 cast of Les Miserables.
- Wicked. Savannah Stevenson (Glinda) and Willemijn Verkaik (Elphaba) in Wicked.
- The Phantom of the Opera. Phantom of the Opera.
- West Side Story. West Side Story.
- Blood Brothers.
- The Book of Mormon.
- Matilda the Musical.
- Miss Saigon.
What is the musical elements of rhythm?
Rhythm —The element of time in music. Characteristics of Rhythm: Beat—Regular pulsation; a basic unit of length in musical time. Accent—Emphasis on a note, so that it is louder or longer than another.
Which Broadway show is the most profiting of all time?
The Lion King is the highest -grossing Broadway show of all time.
What made Broadway musical so popular?
Musicals are well known for their happy undertones and overall cheerful vibes. Musicals tackle political and social issues in a lighthearted way – Musicals became more prominent after 9/11 because it was a smart way to tackle political issues and social issues without being too controversial.
Why is musical Theatre so popular?
As for why musicals are so popular, Friedman said, “It’s a fun entertainment,” and, “People want to be entertained.” As for the evolution of the form, where musicals came from, Friedman said, “They definitely evolved out of opera” and that musicals were “essentially opera with dialogue.”