- 1 What did they do for fun in the 1930s?
- 2 What was the most popular form of entertainment in the 1930’s?
- 3 What did families do for entertainment in the 1930s?
- 4 What were some popular things to do in the 1930s?
- 5 What type of entertainment was popular in the 1930s?
- 6 How much did a loaf of bread cost in the 1930s?
- 7 What art was popular in the 1930s?
- 8 How did people stay entertained during the Great Depression?
- 9 Who got rich during Great Depression?
- 10 What foods were popular in the 1930s?
- 11 What was life like during the Depression?
- 12 What made money during the Great Depression?
- 13 What are the major world events of the 1930s?
- 14 What were the trends in the 1930s?
- 15 What did people eat during the Great Depression?
What did they do for fun in the 1930s?
People liked listening to sports and news, as well as jazz and swing music. Singing telegrams were popular. During the 1930s, football was almost as popular with Nebraskans as it is today. High school teams were sources of pride for entire communities and the University of Nebraska team was becoming a national force.
What was the most popular form of entertainment in the 1930’s?
Cinema. The cinema was probably the most popular form of entertainment in the 1930s. Silent films had been shown since the beginning of the century, but from the end of the 1920s people were attracted to the new talkies.
What did families do for entertainment in the 1930s?
With little money to spend on entertainment, families enjoyed new board games such as “Monopoly” and “Scrabble” which were first sold during the 1930s. Neighbors got together to play card games such as whist, pinochle, canasta and bridge. Some families had fun putting together puzzles with hundreds of pieces.
What were some popular things to do in the 1930s?
- Despite the Great Depression, popular culture flourished in the United States in the 1930s.
- Technological advances like radio and sound in film contributed to the massive popularity these forms of entertainment.
- Next to jazz, blues, gospel, and folk music, swing jazz became immensely popular in the 1930s.
What type of entertainment was popular in the 1930s?
In the 1930s, big bands and swing music were popular, with Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, and Glenn Miller popular bandleaders. In the 1940s, the bands started to break up, and band singers like Frank Sinatra and Sarah Vaughan went out on their own. War songs became popular.
How much did a loaf of bread cost in the 1930s?
The Price of Bread
|YEAR||Cost of 1 lb. of Bread|
What art was popular in the 1930s?
The 1920s and ‘ 30s saw the emergence of a series of seminal new European art movements, including Art Deco, Cubism and Surrealism, among others.
How did people stay entertained during the Great Depression?
People found unique and inexpensive ways to entertain themselves during the Great Depression. They listened to a variety of radio shows or took in a cheap movie. They also took part in sports, fads, or fun contests that didn’t cost anything at all.
Who got rich during Great Depression?
Paul Getty. An amazing beneficiary of good timing and great business acumen, Getty created an oil empire out of a $500,000 inheritance he received in 1930. With oil stocks massively depressed, he snatched them up at bargain prices and created an oil conglomerate to rival Rockefeller.
What foods were popular in the 1930s?
Food “disguises” were popular in the 1930s including pigs in blankets, mushrooms made out of cream cheese and “bunny salad” made from a canned pear half. Chicken divan casserole, cherries jubilee, sweet potato-marshmallow surprises, and black bottom pie were very popular during the 1930s.
What was life like during the Depression?
The average American family lived by the Depression -era motto: “Use it up, wear it out, make do or do without.” Many tried to keep up appearances and carry on with life as close to normal as possible while they adapted to new economic circumstances. Households embraced a new level of frugality in daily life.
What made money during the Great Depression?
Even amid America’s worst economic downturn, a select few accumulated vast fortunes. Not everyone, however, lost money during the worst economic downturn in American history. Business titans such as William Boeing and Walter Chrysler actually grew their fortunes during the Great Depression.
What are the major world events of the 1930s?
- Great Depression. USSR Collectivizes Agriculture.
- Empire State Building. The Star-Spangled Banner Named U.S. National Anthem.
- Franklin Roosevelt Elected President. World War I Veterans Bonus March on Washington.
- New Deal Begins. Prohibition Repealed.
- Dust Bowl.
- Germany Enacts Nuremberg Laws.
- Hoover Dam.
- Hindenberg Explosion.
What were the trends in the 1930s?
1930s Fashion Trends Midi length bias-cut dresses, puff sleeves, belted waists, and large yokes or collars. Old Hollywood evening gowns – backless, sleeveless, long bias-cut dresses. High waisted sailor pants and wide leg beach pajamas. Casual sports clothes — skirt-like shorts, striped knit shirts.
What did people eat during the Great Depression?
Chili, macaroni and cheese, soups, and creamed chicken on biscuits were popular meals. In the 70 or more years since the Great Depression, a lot has changed on the farms of rural America. All of these changes have resulted in farms that usually specialize in only one main crop.